// this to hide post title Devolution: From Beneath The Surface

Sunday, May 6, 2018

From Beneath The Surface


Did not have the time to say it all
So I learned I must stay real small
Just tried to make sense of what I knew
In the end I saw just how foolish it all grew

Could not stay to help their grieving
Flies commenced to buzz as I was leaving
Guess I was lost this whole damn way
No wonder I never planned out where I’d lay

Laid out looking up at all them stars
Their blue was cold and that black was far
Felt tiny snowflakes dancing upon my nose
dreams touched my heart while I dozed

Came across those things that you uncovered
Watched sand blow over what I discovered
Saw the river’s ancient canyon stage
As I divided my years by this world’s age

Learned to pause yet I never stopped
Thought I could listen while I hopped
Saw speckled horses and an old log fence
Finally got used to things not making sense

The pieces you found did not quite match up with mine
It merely seemed we all pursued different lines
Stayed a while where the dust was clean
Til they sped by in new and shiny, closed machines

Began to howl to spread my sad news
Never did gamble, but still learned to lose
I might have come from any gypsy stock
Carved out our initials upon that rock

Turned it all quite upside down on purpose
Things looked blurry from beneath the surface
Looked for myself on snowy mountains
Most found my anger quite astounding

Scuffled savagely over smallest scraps
Licked my wounds between hungry naps
Lost the race I never knew began
My hair grew too wild and my face too thin
Lay drugged and watched my fluids fill their tubes
Ran all day, back when my joints were lubed
Lost all those memories I had finally gathered
Thought I got soaked but was merely spattered

Could not stay quiet as we all stood still
Made things harder thanks to my foolish will
Felt the grace in those huge blue swells
Helped myself and left my kids the bill

Knew in my gut that it all must end
Had neither time to help nor money to lend
At last I grew just a little thankful
Finally realized I owed this monstrous toll

Had a blurry vision of me off in peace and light
Began to wake up sweaty in the dark of night
Tried hard to change it all for good
Everything hurt when I finally understood

For a while it seemed things might just improve
Then came the morning my legs would not move
Crushed fine objects in darkness stumbling
Things got broke whenever I started fumbling

Studied empty scenes of starkest devastation
Heard sisters whispering over my evisceration
Overheard the voice of their gods almighty
Grew sad to realize they did not speak to me

Ruined many fine things in my short time
Under the patient trees I relived my prime
Always spiced up my own plain food
Came across as chiseled out just a bit too crude

Took a hard fall and badly twisted a firm belief
She thought me wise but I merely sought relief
It grew too smoky to recover any left-behinds
Questioned their ways and was treated less than kind

Never took warm comfort from friends or family
But clutched at them all as I slowly slipped away
Cast widely for some sanity with a narrow beam of reason
Got mixed up by faith and lost my way amid broken dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment