// this to hide post title Devolution: Twirling Figurines

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Twirling Figurines


Events shattered my life into a million pieces, each of which continued on fractally - but without me
But, once I accepted the Word, all nagging contradictions disappeared behind comfy blinders of faith
Bouncing roughly past in a beatup bus, it really hurt to realize no one should have to live as they did
I saw the evidence of our progress taken from space and it was not pride in humanity that filled me

Idly spinning a fallen leaf between her fingers, it suddenly played a large part in her life
Accidentally dropped, it is instantly swirled away in that tiny stream by which she sits
She had been all the forever I had ever known, and as much as I had ever needed
And, as she left me so slowly, day by day, she made a place within me that was cold & dark & empty

Looking up from my microscope I saw protesters swirling thru the streets up there on the big screen
After reading the Fine Print, the Big Picture grew too confusing for me to remain truly comfortable
Multiplicative tiny mutations and then, one sunny morning, I would never again arise from my bed
But still, there weren’t ever so many crumbs on our filthy floor as stars outside in that moonless sky

Hurtling past a small turtle foolishly trying to cross that busy road, I briefly lost my sense of purpose
Oddly, their saving a 5th generation single mother from an abortion roused no thankful prayer in me
As I grew progressively more unneeded and unwanted, I learned at last the value of volunteerism
I wound up staring quite blankly as all I had once been was silently emitted as invisible lost memories

Obsessed with her inability to control her kids’ lives she instead micromanaged her corporate team
Watching raindrops softly ping the lake for days, I realized that reality could move at different paces
Skimming the geological time periods left me with a larger sense of eternity than I dared to entertain
The spending excesses of our brave entrepreneurial class filled me with envy until I heard their ideals

Now driving too slowly, it came to me that I had become an impediment to their pursuit of happiness
Flowing on the busy day to day currents, I was only very rarely afforded a sense of my own mortality
Looking back, I saw only a shifting collage of randomly sorted images that I could not even sequence
But every morning we said “I love you” and every night would end with a gentle kiss

I always had a sense that I had time remaining for those many things I had chosen to triage for later
I drew few clues from bearing casual witness to fine things broken and the end of countless tiny lives
I danced along with all the rest to the time-warping tunes of the politicians and other marketeers
Too often I falsely promised that I would take time to consider events receding in my rearview mirror

The endless daily toll of species disappearing at our hands grew quite wearisome and lost all effect
Should our MakeItCheaper, IncreaseTheMargin ingenuity engender a stirring pride in humanity in me?
Upon my return after so long I was surprised to see how large the trees at our old house had grown
So, we twirled & we danced thru dirty streets under smoggy skies, high on a fat-free HappyEverAfter

No comments:

Post a Comment